Thursday, June 12, 2008

"Sports are useless!"

When I lived in Colorado I had a friend who was adamant that sports were useless. (We weren't best friends by the way ... but she was cool.)

She asked me "what good are sports?" then proceeded to rant how too much money is poured into athletes, promoting greed and jealousy. She said kids are made fun of for not being good enough and their self-esteem is damaged and feelings are hurt when the lose or worse yet, don't even make the team ... (Sounds like a bitter girlfriend who can't get over being dumped/cut from a team.)

I wasn't going to change her mind so I simply smiled and said something to the effect of, "Yeah, too many times those involved in sports have created a monster. But I definitely learned a lot about life because of them."

Sports are terrific because they teach so much about life; submitting to the authority of coaches and the rules of the sport, getting along and working together with teammates, dealing with joy of winning and the proverbial, "agony," of losing, work ethic, strategy and SO much more.

Where else can one game these skills in such a great environment?

No comments: